Re: Bonobo::Persist::getIID ()

On Wed, 23 May 2001, ERDI Gergo wrote:

> for those of you not caring about the clipboard, I'd like to mention this
> in a separate mail because of its broader implications (since this is a
> request to add a new member to a published public interface).
> I think the Bonobo::Persist interface should contain a getIID method that
> returns the IID of the object thats state it contains. This is required to
> fully store a component (because storing a component, IMHO, means storing
> what it is, not just what its state is), or to store remote compound
> documents, etc.
> The downside is that this binds us to a specific object activation scheme
> (in this case, OAF).

I have just sit down to implement this, but then it struck me that maybe a
getMoniker method would be more flexible and it wouldn't bind us to OAF.
My only problem with this approach is that using a moniker here doesn't
describe this methods purpose very well -- it is not about storing state
(this is what the Persist interface does, in this context) but about
storing component identity.
Maybe OAF: monikers could be used (so the method returns `a moniker
activating the object that this Persist interface belongs to, as per the
activation scheme of the platform, OAF for now').

Toughts?

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001