Re: Getting a moniker from a string

Sander Vesik wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>
> > ERDI Gergo wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is somewhat related to the current issues concerning using the Bonobo
> > > interface to GConf from non-GNOME applications. To do that, you obviously
> > > have to be able to get a moniker from a freeform string like
> > > "config:/app/FooBar/display_frobozz". How do you do that? Do you have to
> > > parse it by yourself and then construct OAF queries from the moniker
> > > prefix of each part? Is there a way to get a handle to the BindigContext
> > > or whatever it's called?
> >
> > Another similar question: How do I access the gconfd from applications not
> > using ORBit? How do you do that? Do you have to construct the CORBA connection
> > by yourself? ....

BTW: gconfd is the CORBA server implementing the CORBA API defined in GConf.idl.

> Not that it is relevant to gnome-components, but you just call the gconf
> init function. You need to do that to access any gconf client side
> functions anyways.

Wait, we have a server side (gconfd), and a client side (gconf_client).  To pass
values from the server to the client we use CORBA (ORBit). Without CORBA you can
access nothing without getting serious troubles! GConf simply uses the same library
for the client and the server side, so it is possible to access server side
functions from the client side. But that is the same as I would suggest to use
libxml directly to access configuration files. That works without CORBA, sure.

- Dietmar