Re: will the Bonobo Clipboard be accepted to be a part of the GNOME 2 API?

On 28Jul2001 11:09PM (+0200), ERDI Gergo wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
> > Also, bonobo-clipboard raises a significant architectural question of
> > whether we want a bonobo-based clipboard mechanism to be the default,
> > or do something based on the normal X mechanisms for greater
> > compatibility with non-GNOME apps.
>
> Sadly, I have to agree with your other points (altough I think GNOME 2
> would be a great time to introduce the Clipboard).
>
> But this `wether we want a bonobo-based clipboard mechanism' thing sounds
> as if I haven't posted my initial plans two months before, this sounds as
> if there hasn't been several threads about this on gnome-components-list,
> this sounds as if this was a totally vapour `i have an idea let's do this
> who wants to implement?' project.

I don't mean to imply a lack of planning on your part. I'm just not
sure people who are not on gnome-components-list will necessarily be
of the same mind, and I think not all people with an interest in how
the clipboard mechanism are necessarily on gnome-components-list.

> Plus, my current efforts include a way to synchronize text/plain content
> with the X clipboard. I don't think we can get much better than that when
> dealing with interoperability with legacy non-GNOME applications. And
> remember how a `GNOME 2 application' is also a `Bonobo application', so
> this shouldn't be a problem.

It would be nice to be able to interoperate with KDE, Motif/Lesstif,
Java, Qt-only, Gtk+-only and so forth applications (none of which are
going away any time soon...)  at the clipboard level. So I'm really
glad you are considering this point. Maybe it's possible to do better
than text/plain and also be able to interoperate for rich text,
images, audio, etc.

Anyway, I don't mean to disparage your work, I just want to make sure
all the imporant requirements are being considered.

Regards,

Maciej