Re: investigation into replacing ref. counts with leases

>To: Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth Sun COM>
>Cc: darin bentspoon com, hp redhat com, gnome-components-list gnome org,
michael ximian com
>Subject: Re: investigation into replacing ref. counts with leases
>From: Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org>
>
>Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth Sun COM> writes:
>
>> For comparison, DCOM does pinging, but it's handled at the level of the
>> middleware, not individual objects; the bad side of pinging
>> is the extra traffic (which could be significant if the
>> ping period is short, the number of objects large and/or
>> the bandwidth limited). DCOM does a ping between each
>> pair of communicating hosts (I guess on the assumption that
>> a failure to receive a ping is due to a network problem).
>
>Well, the same applies for leases; to extend the lease you need to do a
>CORBA call as well.

Correct; as I said leases and pinging are similar. The main difference
is that after a client initially starts to use an object, the lease
mechanism has the client calling the object (to extend the lease)
while the pinging method has the object (server) verify the client.

Colm.