Re: [Re: BonoboUI: Stock items?]

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> wrote:
> Murray Cumming <murrayc usa net> writes:
>
> > Erm, this is far too important to just ask a lowly hacker such as me to
add it
> > himself if he really wants it. Stock menu and toolbar items are essential
> > application consistency and to translation efforts.
> >
> > Also, if this XML thing is part of Bonobo (not just in the C sugar) then
it's
> > defintely beyond me at the moment. I'm still learning this stuff.
> >
> > I appreciate that you're busy and that you probably feel pressured by
"does it
> > do this?" questions, but it doesn't take much effort to put it on a TODO
list.

> Ok, so what about the following "deal":
>
> I'll write this stuff for you and test it on the GNOME 2 platform and you
> port it back to GNOME 1.x and test it there ?
>
> Shouldn't be that hard to do, but I don't have a GNOME 1.x environment at
the
> moment, so it's much easier for me to do the stuff for GNOME 2.

Sounds like a good deal to me. But why would we port it back to GNOME 1.x?
Surely that API is frozen.

Another point that seems to be relevant to this
At the moment the XML contains a <cmd> nod for menu items and another <cmd>
node for toolbar items. But they generally contain identical information
because toolbar items are just a shortcut to menu items. One <cmd> node can be
used for both a menu itema and a toolbar item, BUT the toolbar item won't have
it's "_" underscores parsed out. I have not yet confirmed whether this is
still a problem with GNOME2 libbonoboui.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com