Re: Refcounting craziness

Hi Owen,

On 16 Jan 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> > > I think you people need to rethink this some. Maybe a lot.

	Certainly; reference counting in Bonobo needs serious attention /
junking altogether for the next release.

> > The new server that implements Bonobo::ItemContainer is
> > BonoboItemHandler which is what it should have been in the first
> > place.
>
> Well, can I interest you in the fact that almost identical problems
> occurs in BonoboClientSite, BonoboEmbeddable, ... ?

	Yes; I am interested, however bear in mind that we are inside an
API freeze, and that these problems are not terminal. Handing and
swallowing of references, internal reference accounting and various other
historical strangenesses may be viewed as features. In many cases they
reduce user code complexity, and line count, but if you can point at any
specific horrors I'd be interested.