Re: moniker question

On 31 Jan 2001 18:37:16 -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > (4) In the camera case, I can't hardcode eog, as some digital cameras
> > can also store movies or sound. Therefore, I guess I should use
> > another moniker to resolve the stream I get from the camera. BUT: How
> > can I resolve a stream without temporarily saving it to disk? Is there
> > a way of getting a control directly from a stream? That would be
> > useful for the bonobo-moniker-http, too.
>
>       Yes; you need to look for interfaces supporting the PersistStream
> interface and then call 'load' with your stream on that interface.

I just discovered that bonobo-moniker-gzip uses
bonobo_moniker_use_extender - I guess that is the function I have been
looking for.

Using this function lets bonobo-moniker-camera.c shrink to 39 lines -
the same would apply to bonobo-moniker-http.c. It really would be much
more convenient to make bonobo to look directly for "libstorage_hey.so"
when someone requests something like "hey:/whatever". This would save us
lots of helper programs like bonobo-moniker-http, bonobo-moniker-camera,
bonobo-moniker-ftp, and so on. Or am I missing something?

I have yet to get the extender stuff to work. "moniker-test -c
file:/home/lutz/image.jpeg" results in

** WARNING **: Attempt activate object satisfying
'bonobo:supported_mime_types.has ('image/jpeg') AND repo_ids.has
('IDL:Bonobo/Control:1.0') AND repo_ids.has
('IDL:Bonobo/PersistFile:1.0')': 0x8067cf0

and gives me the image back, whereas "moniker-test -c
camera://camera/image.jpeg" results in

** WARNING **: Attempt activate object satisfying
'bonobo:supported_mime_types.has ('image/jpeg') AND repo_ids.has
('IDL:Bonobo/Control:1.0') AND repo_ids.has
(['IDL:Bonobo/PersistStream:1.0'])': (nil)

** WARNING **: Can't find object satisfying requirements

>From GNOME_EOG.oafinfo, I read that EOG supports the PersistStream
interface, too. I'll have a deeper look at it.

Lutz

--
                                                        \|||/
| Lutz Mueller           +49 (7156) 34837        +---ooO-(_)-Ooo---+
| Hans-Sachs-Strasse 5                                             |
| 71254 Ditzingen        http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Lutz.Mueller |
| Germany                urc8 rz uni-karlsruhe de                  |