Re: Merging ORBit-c++ into ORBit2 ...

On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 16:09, Michael Meeks wrote:
> However I'm slightly concerned about the C++ being used in the IDL
> compiler; I would prefer this to be migrated to plain C, and always
> linked
> into the idl compiler - rather than having a conditional C++ build [
> although we will need this anyway for building the core ]

I suspect that it won't be that simple to convert C++ code that uses STL
containers to Glib stuff, and I'm certain that it won't be as readable
or robust. This is with the usual caveat that I'm not actually very
familiar with the OrbitC++ code.

What are the advantages to having no C++ code in ORBit?

>         What do you think ? otherwise I'll import it into CVS and have a
> go at hooking up the autoconf gubbins - that is if Sam / Murray are happy
> to do the work on making it fly ?

I'll do what I can. I was already resigned to having to fix up OrbitC++
for ORBIT2 even though I haven't been involved in it so far.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net