Re: Bonobo-Activation fun with pipes

On 24Aug2001 06:05PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > Does g_spawn let you set up pipes to or from the child process on
> > arbitrary file descriptors?
>
> The builtin pipes support uses stdout/stdin/stderr on the child side
> and one end of the pipe from pipe() on the parent side.
>
> But nothing is stopping you from doing your own pipes stuff. There's a
> ChildSetupFunc to run arbitrary code right before the exec if
> necessary.
>
> However my reading of oaf_server_by_forking() is that it's just using
> the standard pipe()-and-dup2(pipe[1],1) pipe that g_spawn can do for
> you.

Actually it tries to leave stderr / stdout / stdin alone and sets up a
pipe on a different file descriptor to communicate back the IOR (I
think). I'll look into using g_spawn once I get the other changes
merged over.

(It only does a dup2 when the exec fails and it needs report errors
which is a silly and misleading way to write to the IOR fd).

 - Maciej