Re: Serious Bonobo Problem for Sun

>From: Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com>
>To: Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth Sun COM>
>CC: darin eazel com, sandmann daimi au dk, michael ximian com, mjs eazel com,
miguel ximian com, brian cameron ireland sun com,
gnome-components-list gnome org, Brian Cameron Sun COM
>Subject: Re: Serious Bonobo Problem for Sun
>
>Colm Smyth wrote:
>
>> 1. middleware notifies server of client death; this is the best solution
>>    as it is transparent and operates at the a common low level; since the
>>    middleware is CORBA which (I believe) has no standard that supports
>>    client death notification, this can't be used.
>
>Yes, this is not supported.
>
>> 2. server pings clients; since a client normally invokes a server, this
>>    is a slightly unusual situation but bi-directional communication is
>>    supported by recent GIOP standard; technically possible, but it
>>    complicates the architecture by requiring clients to export a
>>    CORBA interface so not to be recommended; if this mechanism were
>>    chosen, it would be best if the Client::ping() interface were
>>    asynchronous.
>
>The server does not know it's clients, and a client can pass server object
>references to other clients. I think this will never work.

If this solution was adopted, we would add a register_client() method
to the Bonobo Unknown interface - pretty simple.

>The server does not know it's clients, and a client can pass server object
>references to other clients. I think this will never work.

Never is a long time; you just have to look at the consequences of a
design decision (see above).

Colm.