Re: Serious Bonobo Problem for Sun

Darin Adler <darin eazel com> writes:

> I suspect you're wrong. While fixing this problem in oafd also sounds
> important, the additional processes themselves are also a major problem.
> These server processes are accumulating dead objects inside them and the
> processes will never die and just keep getting bigger each time a host
> process is terminated.
>
> And this "abnormal termination" includes the cases where the user kills the
> process from the session manager, or uses kill, or Ctrl-C. I think the
> underlying problem must be fixed.

Doesn't both JavaEB and DCOM (or is it COM+? -- I can never remember
the difference) handle this with leases instead of ref-counting?  That
is, a client requests that the server stays alive for, say, two
minutes, and then, after two minutes, the client must either renew its
lease, or the CORBA reference to the server will (potentially) become
invalid.

With a simple g_timeout_add (2 min, renew()), this would take care of
garbage collection when clients die.  This doesn't solve the problem
that cycles in the component graph are bad, nor will it solve problems
with connections going down (but this is less of a problem when client
and server live on the same machine).