OAF and XServiceInfo

Hi,

	After trying to trawl through the massive amount of verbiage on
this subject in reverse order and still retain some clue of what is being
discussed I think I failed. Anyhow, somewhere, someone said they wanted to
implement arbitary object characterization ( a-la the XServiceInfo
interface ) into OAF.

	This seems to me an appallingly bad idea for the following
reasons:

	a) Oafd is a remote process always, the object handle you have
will often be local so to characterize an object's contract you always get
a big performance hit.

	b) OAF deals with _Activation_ it characterizes pre-activated
objects, this is the whole point in it; so you don't have to activate
every available object to find the one you want.

	It might have some redeeming features since:

	a) Currently people have to manualy duplicate the interfaces that
they export in the oafinfo files ( it would perhaps be nice to be able to
fix this; this could perhaps be done with a good service implementation ).

	b) We want to activate things based on the services they provide
( but this is not a real problem currently; see point a). Service based
activation would cut down the complexity of OAF queries which would be
welcome.

	So; in conclusion it makes no sense to me to put dynamic arbitary
object characterization out of process in an object activation
daemon. Star Office does it the right way ( not very suprising to me ).