The XServiceInfo interface ...

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Michael Hoennig (mi) wrote:
> > the 'prepend X before every real interface' thing ( which I have a
> > rather dim view of personaly :-).
>
> The X is kinda important because frequently there will be once
> distinct interface which should have more or less the same name, here
> "Cell" would clash with "XCell" - just without the X of cause.

        I appreciate what the X is for, it's just I don't like the way
it's done. The service 'abc' has to represent more than the Xabc interface
otherwise there is no point in it. In this case XCell might be better as
CellContents ( or CellValue or whatever ). I think in general mangling
random letters at the front of interface names is not a good thing :-)
Perhaps if all code generating interfaces began with 'X' ( why X ? ) and
all services were plain, then grokking the idl would be easier. But this
is not the case; either way it's not a big complaint :-)

> It's not possible to query_interface for a service name. You can get a
> list of all services which are implemented by an instance at runtime
> by com::sun::star::lang::XServiceInfo:
> http://www.openoffice.org/source/browse/api/api/com/sun/star/lang/XServi
> ceInfo.idl

        So, these names are in a different namespace then, oh well. Tell
me; is the getImplementationName () method used for anything but debugging
? it seems to me rather strange to allow people to break past the
query interface abstraction and behave differently with specific objects
with different implementations; or did I mistake what that method
does. Also, does every object implement this XServiceInfo interface, and
how does your C++ sugar help people do that ? or is it a relatively rare
interface ?