Re: stereotype service (was: underlying politics)

Hi Michael,

>         When I spoke to Torsten about the service concept he informed me
> that it was merely a contract definition spec. that tells you what
> interfaces are available from the queryInterface action thus:
>
> service Cell {
>         interface XCell;
>         interface XFormatProperties;
>         interface XSheetItem;

>         etc. etc.
> };

right. It tells you which mandatory interfaces have to be available,
which optional interfaces can be available and which meaning generic
interfaces have in the context.

>       forms an aggregate object definition, and that no code was
> generated from this construct. So, surely we already have the concept
well
> enshrined in the architecture, we just don't have the fragments of IDL
and
> the 'prepend X before every real interface' thing ( which I have a rather
> dim view of personaly :-).

The X is kinda important because frequently there will be once distinct
interface which should have more or less the same name, here "Cell" would
clash with "XCell" - just without the X of cause.

>         It seems I must have misunderstood your above comments however;
is
> it possible un UNO land to do a query_interface on 'Cell' and if so; what
> interface do you get ? I can see that having oaf specify 'services' might
> be useful, but this can be achieved anyway by just specifying the
> collection of interfaces that you require.

It's not possible to query_interface for a service name. You can get a
list of all services which are implemented by an instance at runtime by
com::sun::star::lang::XServiceInfo:
http://www.openoffice.org/source/browse/api/api/com/sun/star/lang/XServi
ceInfo.idl

Thanks for your support in explaining this stuff.

	Michael