Re: BonoboZoomable - BonoboZoomLevel

Hi Martin,

On 16 Oct 2000, Martin Baulig wrote:
> after talking to Maciej in IRC yesterday he convinced me of this as well.
> However, we had the idea that there may be some use for descriptive labels,
> for instance when you have fractional numbers as zoom levels, a label like
> "1:6" looks better for the user than "16.666%".

	Fair enough; egyptian fractions can be a nice thing.

> void		 bonobo_zoomable_set_parameters			(BonoboZoomable	*zoomable,
> 								 float           zoom_level,
> 								 float		 min_zoom_level,
> 								 float		 max_zoom_level,
> 								 gboolean	 has_min_zoom_level,
> 								 gboolean	 has_max_zoom_level,
> 								 gboolean	 is_continuous,
> 								 float          *preferred_zoom_levels,
> 								 const gchar   **preferred_zoom_level_names,
> 								 gint		 num_preferred_zoom_levels);

	I have big misgivings about this function; I would like it split
up thus:

	set_level
	set_min (float min_zoom_level);  -- implies turning
has_min_zoom_level on.
	etc.
	set_preferred_zoom_levels (...)

	I think forcing the user to make all these difficult decisions
just to set the initial zoom level is not easy and can obscure the
optionality of the other arguments.

	As for the preferred zoom levels etc. I dislike the
num_preferred_zoom_levels; I assume you use it to allow a NULL value in
the names; I'd prefer to NULL terminate the levels and their names and use
"" as signifying no name [ we have to do this at the CORBA level anyway ].