Re: location of bonobo-stream-fs,[ch]

Hi Dietmar,

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > BonoboStream *bonobo_stream_storage_open (BonoboStorage *storage,
>
> Silly question: where is the implementation of
> bonobo_stream_storage_open().  I am unable to find it.

	In fact it appears to be totaly unimplemented; grief. Anyway,
you see my point; the

	storage = storage_open ("/etc");
	stream = stream_open (storage, "passwd");

	seems more painful than it needs to be.

> And what is with the bonobo_storage_write_class_id and
> bonobo_stream_write_class_id functions?

	Ok; these are designed to insert and retrieve an OAFID at the
beggining of a stream and to strip it off on load. While containers
will probably want to store this anyway elsewhere, it is useful for
debugging, recovering data from corrupted files and a generic compound
document viewing app ( if that is possible ). I can't see a current
implementation of these though.

> It seems that there are drivers which can create Streams without a
parent
> Storage (fs and vfs driver). We can implement:
>
> BonoboStream   *bonobo_stream_open         (const char *driver,
>                                               const char *path,
>                                               gint flags,
>                                               gint mode);
>
> and add a bonobo_stream_driver_open () function to each driver
> that supports it.

	That sound useful yes. I would also be inclined to re-work the
way the plugin loads symbols to be more like the gnumeric plugin
interface, ie. putting the bonobo_storage_driver_open function in the
plugin could confuse people reading the code.

> What do you think?

	Sounds good to me; Miguel ?