menu tips not appearing in Nautilus status bar consistently

Hi Michael,

Menu tips were appearing in the Nautilus status bar reliably a day or two
ago, but now they aren't. They sometimes appear, but most often do not. I
couldn't reproduce what I did to make them appear, so the reproducible case
is that they do not appear.

Anyway, I looked into this a little in the debugger and saw that
put_hint_in_status_bar is being called, but priv->main_status is NULL so it
bails out. priv->main_status gets set to NULL by update_status, and then is
supposed to be reset to the widget by sync_generic_widgets. That doesn't
seem to be working properly. I strongly suspect the recent changes in this
area. Do you want me to help debug this, or can you take it from here?

John