Re: oaf async activation

> I am not convinced you gave both approaches a serious try.

So, I guess what I meant was "after doing things the threaded way, we
really wished we had gone async instead". Maybe that would have sucked
too.

A lot of our pain has been because of Gtk. As Miguel pointed out,
writing a threaded Gtk app is an entirely different thing than writing
a threaded app in an environment that was designed for such a thing.

> It's pretty interesting that the Evolution team found it easier to use
> threads for the first cut, when many of the people in charge of
> Evolution originally convinced the Nautilus team that an async
> achitecture would be much easier.

Uh, no, it's not interesting actually. We used threads because it was
easier to move our large existing code base over to that model. For
Nautilus, I don't think there was much pre-existing code with a strong
anti-async bias.

-- Dan