Re: more moniker questions

Hi Dietmar,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> I wonder how monikers for archive/storage files should work? OK, there
> is the untar moniker:
>
> file:/tmp/test.tar#untar
>
> But why cant I request the storage interface directly from the file
> moniker?

        Because a more explicit, layered approach reduces individual
moniker complexity and improves extensibility and genericicity.

> and how do I name a file contained in the archive:
>
> file:/tmp/test.tar#untar!/etc/groups

        Forget the '!' separator; this is a special case for the item
moniker; all other monikers ( apart from the query moniker ) are delimited
thus:

                name:....[#name2:]

        where [] signify optionality; hence to reference this file you
use:

        file:/tmp/test.tar#untar:/etc/groups

        It is a monikers job to parse the string it is given though, so in
general nothing can be said about the text between #names: 's.