Re: Oaf names & file structure

miguel,

> > I cannot really imagine scenarios to do this. My personal solutino to such a problem
> > would be to design an OAF query which I know to always the return what I need.
> >
> > Could you give us a specific example ?
>
> I want to activate Gnumeric.  I dont want to run something else, but Gnumeric.

if I were to do this, I would add the folowing in the .oafinfo file:
<oaf_attribute name="gnumeric-component" type="string" value="this-is-really-the-gnumeric-component">
And generate the folowing query:

( has (repo_ids, "blahblae") AND gnumeric-component == "this-is-really-the-gnumeric-component" )

I understand this is a little far fetched though....

However, I cannot do much but repeat the folowing:
If you want gnumeric, it is because you want to do something with it.
So, let's imagine you want to display a file through gnumeric.
If you want to do this, you should not force gnumeric but use teh default application/component
which the user has choosen to display spreadsheets. The gnome-vfs mime databse stores such data.

So, I do not think this is a very good example.

> > Theorically, if I yoiu have components, they should specicy their whole
> > features in their CORBA interfaces which means that you SHOULD be able to replace
> > them with a component iomplementing the same exact set of interfaces.
>
> Mhm?  Most OLE2 applications just "exposed" the fact that they
> supported a few of the "standard" interfaces.  There was no
> distinction between Excel or Word.  But when the time came to insert a
> component, you would have to use a specific implementation ID.

well, Kro$oft got it wrong, once more...

regards,
Mathieu
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu eazel com>