Re: Hiding a placeholder's separator

Hi Darin,

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> Off hand, it seems to me that looking for non-hidden XML elements
> inside the placeholder would not be prohibitively complicated or
> expensive. This case of an placeholder with only hidden items does not
> seem unusual to me.

        Any time anything inside the placeholder changes you have to do a
recursive search of all its' sub items and placeholders to determine if
any of the items are showing, each in turn will need to get their command
structure. Not a massive cost, as for it being complicated, it's certainly
more complicated than the relatively simple approach we have now.

        But if you think this is the right way to go, send me a patch and
I'll integrate it.

        Similarly John, perhaps the hidden attribute would be better if it
applied to the placeholder's subtree, it shouldn't be hard, and if it is
more elegant than the corresponding Nautilus hack, then I'd be very happy
to see the patch. This is a far more simple solution, but both sound nice.