Re: oaf patch for bug 1703

On 19 Jul 2000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:

> > That's more or less what I had in mind (except I wouldn't call the two
> > types "standard" and "gnome"; I'd call them perhaps "oaf path" and
> > "prefix path").
>
> using the config file to specify which env vars to use seems
> overkill to me but if that is what eliot believes to be the
> right way(tm), let it be so.

I don't think any additional env vars beyond OAF_INFO_PATH are needed -
again, if OAF_INFO_PATH needs to be set, it can set by another entity
(e.g. something that looks at $GNOME_PATH).

My main concern is with the use of XML for the config file - this is going
to butt heads with the post-install scripts of packages (which typically
are able to use regular shell commands for editing /etc/ld.so.conf). You
can make the config file be a plain text file, or write a utility to allow
easily modifying the config file. I would prefer both, but either of the
alternatives will do the trick.

-- Elliot
The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per second per second.