Re: a proposal for 2 OAF features

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Jaka Mocnik wrote:

> why exactly is this broken? is it saner that each object simply
> disappears from OAF when a new server with the same IID is activated?
> if the IGNORE_EXISTING flag were replaced by EXCLUSIVE (see below),
> then that would perhaps make sense as only one server per (IID,
> host)-pair could be spawned by OAF.

That is why I agreed with you below... Both cases you describe above are
broken :)

> > > 2. I think that OAF should add an option to _only_ activate and _not_
> > > register the server (something like a flag OAF_FLAG_EXCLUSIVE) in
> > > order to enable an application to use the activated server
> > > exclusively. this implies IGNORE_EXISTING. as the registration is done
> > > by the server and not OAF, it would mean passing a command line
> > > argument to the server exe (let's call it "--oaf-exclusive") or a
> > > parameter to the Factory object. I don't know what to do with shared
> > > libs for this purpose.
> >
> > I think this is mostly what the IGNORE_EXISTING flag means in practice -
> > give me an object that no-one else will use. So a bug fix there and
> > perhaps a clarification interfacewise would be better than keeping
> > IGNORE_EXISTING with same meaning.
> then perhaps, the IGNORE_EXISTING flag should be replaced by EXCLUSIVE
> flag. but the remaining problem is that the server activated in this
> manner registers itself, promptly replacing the possible previously
> registered one and is available at next activation, possibly for another
> process. it seems that there is need for a cmdline arg like
> --oaf-exclusive to tell liboaf NOT TO register the server (effectively
> replacing the possible already registered one) when
> oaf_active_server_register() is called.

Yup. I meant fixing the present functionality of IGNORE_EXISTING so it
performs like your EXCLUSIVE flag. As to whether the name itself is
changed is another matter for debate.

-- Elliot
The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8 meters per second per second.