Re: GnomePropertyBag a proxy ...

Hi Nat,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Nat Friedman wrote:
>  > 	I was thinking ( as I wrote the glade stuff ) that perhaps a nice
>  > way of doing these properties would be to produce an automatic GtkArg ->
>  > GnomePropertyBag proxy / wrapper. Clearly this would be rather simple, but
>  > would I think further lower the barrier for component development. I
>  > envisage also a need to be able to specify which Arg's to export, perhaps
>  > a flat text list or somesuch.
> Wow!  This does sound nice.  But can we put arbitrary types in
> GtkArgs?

	Unfortunately I don't understand the question; however I will
answer the following questions instead :-)

	a) Can GtkArg's cope with complicated type casting, ie. if we set
a 'boolean' arg to a char * will it do something sensible ?

	Answer: no, but this is not a problem since we will register the
correct GtkArg types on the PropertyBag, and type casting / promotion is a
can of worms anyway.

	b) Can a GtkArg's type information be sensibly extracted and used?

	Answer: certainly, examining gtkarg.h and gtktypeutils.h would
suggest that although we might have to map several arg types to a single
property type eg. INT, UINT, LONG, ULONG this should be trivial.

	There would of course be some issues as to which Arg's to expose,
perhaps a list of Class names from the inheritance hierarchy, or a list of
qualified Args I don't know.

	Unfortunately I can't hack it up for you :-)