Re: GNOME Media Player draft

Hi Gergo,

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, ERDI Gergo wrote:
> In fact, I'd love someone to start glueing SMPEG, XAnim, xmms's
> backend (actually I don't know if xmms has its backend separated,
> someone should create a libxmms and make xmms use that),

        I think the idea of abstracting the GUI frontend-ness of Media
player type components is a good idea. While undoubtedly there is a great
big nasty mess of stuff happening at the backend, I don't believe it is
feasible to sort this all out quickly.

        What is possible to do is to wrap existing code such as xanim,
xmms etc. with the Bonobo Control interface. This may not seem like a
worthwhile effort; however once you have gone that far you soon start
highlighting the grimness in the underlying system that needs fixage,
hopefuly stimulating cleanliness of the infastructure.

        Of course, suggesting people use GMF to solve their architectural
problems is the right way to go. However, I would rather see a working
wrapped xanim control now than the promise of a beautiful system next
year.

        It is encouraging to know that people are working on fixing the
infastructure problems though; I had almost forgotten about gmf myself,
just checked it out again.