Re: Newbie question.

Hi Martin,

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>        Is it possible to construct a Bonobo property-bag of functions
> and export it via an ORBit server without wrapping everything in a
> GtkWidget?

        I don't quite understand what you are trying to achieve; let me
make a few guesses:

Q.
        1. Export CORBA function pointers of some sort via a property bag
        2. Not use GtkObjects inside your bonobo code
        3. Not use GtkWidget to export a Control.

A.
        1. No, no such thing is possible; it would be evil and nasty to do
this, whilst CORBA has a nice type system it is totaly broken wrt.
introspecting interfaces; you want to write a chunk of IDL to export your
interfaces.

        2. No way to do this until Gnome 2.0 when we will switch to
GObjects

        3. You can write custom rendering things inside a control as long
as in some way you can fit them into a widget; perhaps render to an off
screen buffer and whack to a drawing area, steal the X window id or
somesuch; either way a bonobo_control wants / needs a widget.

        3.<alt>. You don't need to export a widget interface you could
implement a canvas item instead perhaps.

> I want to enable scripting of Abiword via a remote program so that
> (initially at least) we do need to display any GUI stuff in a remote
> container.

        Scripting should be done by constructing CORBA interfaces for your
functionality and wrapping these around your internal structure, currently
this involves lots of boilerplate typing; you'd do best to copy the
echo-client and modify the IDL perhaps.