monikers in a filemanager.

Hi,
   I have been lerking in this list a while, and have heard talk of
using monikers instead of a file-vfs based paradigm for a file manager.

My interest is paeked because I might give in and write my own fm in
c++.
This would not be a competition to nautilus due to using evas and fam
etc,
limiting it to Linux and eye-candy markets. (though I might integrate
with
nautilus as an option).

I am still wondering what I have missed in this moniker talk,
I mean I can see some gain in using monikers, for example being able
to have monikers that are db location and SQL, or a java
classname/method,
or a CORBA method and params, and seeing the contents as a "chunk of
data".
But this could easily be done with a file based paradigm using a
metafile that contains a moniker... admitadly you require one more level
of inderection (and one more open/read/close) but my point is that using
persistent monikers, storing each in its own file, I can't see that the
vfs
method (with file based monikers)
is that much weaker than just using monikers for everything.

I have read chunks (most the start of) insode OLE, and many other
books on COM/DCOM & CORBA. So I should be able to handle
technical responses.

Thanks.

In this world there are only two tragedies.
One is not getting what one wants,
and the other is getting it.
                -- Oscar Wilde