Re: gnome-vfs dependency for bonobo (was gnome_mime vs. gnome_vfs_mime)

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Simple or not, sounds like a really bad thing to do given the fact that
> > all along our intent was to deprecate the gnome-libs version.
> >
> > It's pretty obvious that if there is more than one mime type detection
> > mechanism in GNOME, everyone looses.
>
> It does not matter if the databases are compatible, which it looks
> like they are.

Seems to me reading this and other posts that you are trivializing the
code that implements this a bit. Most of the logic goes way beyond
"parsing the databases". It has been improved quite a bit compared to
the original in gnome-libs.

Folks do care about how well this works, judging by the volume of bugs
filed about wrongly identified exotic file types, etc., so a technically
sound solution seems to be in order.

Given that, I don't understand how you can be so lightly suggesting that
copying the machinery, keeping the two implementations in synch,
confusing developers with two sets of APIs for the same thing and all
the other bad things that go with code duplication like this is
acceptable. It sure does sound like a very short-sighted proposal to me.

> And it avoids me having to add a dependency to the
> gnome-vfs for using a mime query.

You keep repeating this and you keep leaving out any rational reasons
for your policy.

I wish you presented this as an issue a while back when we agreed to
take the mime APIs from gnome-libs, improve them and deprecate the old
calls.

I have to tell you that it really sucks having worked on trying to make
MIME handling really well on GNOME only to get your work sneered at and
rejected by another part of the community.
All for reasons that are totally opaque and I guess politically charged.
And of all things from someone who seemed to be in perfect agreement
with moving the APIs when we started out.

I'm sorry, I usually don't like to get involved in flamefests like this
but this is totally beyond my comprehension.

Pavel