Re: Problems with the Stream interface

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com> writes:

> > Even if you have asynchronous interfaces, the server may take a long
> > time to be able to take in the client's requests, and the client will
> > block inside ORBit when it makes a request.
>
> I don't think this is a problem with oneway calls.

But you should not use oneway calls.  There is no way to tell if they
got to the server at all.

I know I will be flamed for this, but oneways are just useless.

> The goal here is to avoid blocking the server (weird, I know), not to
> avoid blocking the client, although both are laudable of course.

Remember that here anything that happens on one side of the pipe will
happen on both sides:  even with an asynchronous interface, a client
may be busy and the server will block if it tries to send the client
some CORBA request.  It's exactly the same thing as on the other side.

> BTW, I don't hate threads personally, but it's way too late in the
> development cycle to convert nautilus from async to threads.

I understand.

  Federico