Re: Problems with the Stream interface

Hi Maciej,

On 11 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I have a proposal for how to solve this problem. Essentially, we need
> to make the Stream interface asynchronous by design. We can start with
> the current Stream interface and convert all calls to not return a
> value and take some sort of response listener object to which they
> will deliver the results when ready. This is much like the gnome-vfs
> CORBA interface for asynchronous I/O.

	Ok; I like the idea, but it would be good if you could post a
fleshed out idl for your idea.

	I also think that the best way to do it is for each 'AsyncStream'
interface ( which the C wrappers will make it easy to write ), creates a
standard Stream interface to allow easy scripting; so this would mostly be
a way of increasing the prevalence of the async interface and encouraging
people to use that as the default implementation while not making life
difficult for other, particularly scripting, languages.

	How does that sound ?