Re: BonoboControls and Windows

ERDI Gergo <cactus@cactus.rulez.org> writes:

> Is it possible to have a Windows application implement the BonoboControl
> interface?
> It's not like I needed that right now (heck, I haven't even programmed for
> Windows), but a quick look at the IDLs made me curious because of the
> following line:
>         /**
>          * set_window:
>          * @id: An X Window ID.
>          *
>          * Sets the window ID that should be used for the plug
>          * of this window.
>          */
>         void set_window (in windowid id);
>
> This looks like Bonobo's GUI stuff is being tied to X. Is it so? Is it a
> bad thing?

Yes, it is. The GUI embedding feature of Bonobo depends on the ability
of one X application to create child windows of another's
window. Low-level X munging is about the only way to make
out-of-process controls possible.

You wouldn't really want to use the Bonobo::Control interface on
Windows anyway; it would make more sense to use the standard Windows
COM interfaces for ActiveX controls.

 - Maciej