Re: woo

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@gnu.org> wrote:

> > I am somewhat inclined to think that verbs should be reserved for
> > popup-menu verb items [1], and that we should provide a special
> > GNOME::View method for activation and deactivation.
>
> Sounds good to me.  I have also been thinking about this.

Ok, good.  The wrapper notion is ok, but I really like the idea of
having a one-to-one mapping between verbs and popup-menu component
actions.

> > 	  I am also currently using a double-click on the
> > GnomeViewFrame's wrapper to trigger in-place activation.  This is done
> > in a somewhat hackneyed way right now.  With your permission, I'd like
> > to make a double-click on the wrapper trigger a GnomeViewFarme signal
> > emission, which an application can capture and deal with as
> > appropriate.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.  I understand that this would just emit a
> signal and the user would have to do the rest of the work right?

That's right, basically.

> This is some sort of "Policy support" in the code.  If we do this,
> wouldn't it make more sense to just have a flag in the thing to do
> this on its own?
>
> gnome_view_frame_set_auto_activate_on_double_click()?

One problem with this is that you still need to deactivate the last
active component, and that requires keeping some container-global
state, which can't be wrapped for the user very nicely.  And basically
I think that hiding half of the functionality from the user while
leaving some key component up to him to implement is a terrible
decision.  I'd rather leave it all to him, and provide nice reference
code, and a clear interface.

> I agree with your analysis.

Excellent.  I will make it so.

Nat