Re: IMRs again (was Re: Comments on the baboon plugin spec)

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Phil Dawes wrote:
>
> > Yes but you're still specifying an activation 'routine'. This routine is
> > proprietary to baboon/ORBit. I'm saying you don't need a routine at all
> > - you can have a corba object to do this (the factory), and have it
> > activated implicitly upon use using the IMR. Surely this is better than
> > a proprietary activation routine - systems other than gnome can create
> > gnome objects and use them.
>
> Non-GNOME programs won't be aware of the GNOME-specific interfaces
> anyways.

Nonsense. What if a kde program wants to communicate with a gnome
service? What about this windoze thing that 97% of PCs run these days?

Unless there's a good reason not to (and I haven't heard one yet) we
should be sticking to standards (esp as KDE already use corba through
mico).

Regards,

Phil.