Orbit client based activation control

Elliot Lee writes:
 > ORBit object implementations can be used as both same-address-space and
 > remote implementations at the same time (and you can do fun things like
 > pass an objref or IOR for an implementation in your address space to
 > remote programs, and if you ever receive that objref back, the same
 > address space calls will be used). Once a process has activated an object
 > implementation with the POA and gotten an objref for it from the POA, the
 > location of the object is transparent as far as same address space vs.
 > remote calls.

Aha! Excellent! I absolutely agree that control over this aspect of
activation is best located within the client. (o:

I still have one nagging worry though: which way of granting this
control has the best prospects of securing interoperability with
other ORBs and future OMG specs ?

The OMG seems to moving towards using Policy objects to control how
services operate and they say that they will supply CORBA implementors
with new Policy types on request (4.7). A mail to them could clarify
things and might even make ORBit client based activation control into
a distributed standard. Has someone contacted the OMG ?

Felix