Re: Questions

First of all, thank you very much for your answers.
At 22:42 23/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I can't give you much feedback on EDMA, since I hadn't heard of it before
>your post.  From looking at the README file in the source, it is hard to
>tell exaclty what it does.  From what I can tell, it looks like a library
>to allow programs on a Linux or Windows box to talk to each other in a
>language independant fashion, which is essentially the goal of CORBA, but
>in a narrower scope.
>
>I am interested to hear more about EDMA.  Is it something to go on top of
>a CORBA or COM implementation, or does it serve the same purpose?  Does it
>handle network communications, or is it only between programs on the same
>machine?

Well, EDMA is mainly the same as COM, a system for packing classes as
components and link dynamically their in the applications. In this sense
the system is related to the same process in the same machine.

What I had added is an extension system that I call SIU. This systems
allows the programmer to create classes that subtitute the EDMA primitives
(create and destroy objects, property acces and method invocation). So, you
can write code to send this primitives to other process or machines (I had
a simple system for remote object interaction). I had another SIU extension
(in development) for using Java classes within EDMA as their was EDMA classes.

I will like to use CORBA as distributed system. I think that what I must to
do is an special Object Adapter for manage EDMA implementations. I must use
DII for EDMA-CORBA because all EDMA operations are done at run-time. Is
this the correct way?

I tried OmniORB but DII is not implemented. I tried Mico too, but I can
compile it in my Linux box.

>Whether or not this is a good place for this discussion partially depends
>on what it is you are looking for.  On one hand, I suspect that EDMA as a
>whole would not fit well with GNOME.  On the other hand, it is clear that
>you have put in a lot of work and research into component programming, and
>ideas and possibly source code you developed working on EDMA might be of
>great use here.

I had been talking with rms@gnu.org and he tell me that will be interesting
that EDMA work well with GNOME. I couldn't install GNOME upto the moment
because I can't install Mico on my system (I still know what's the
problem), so I don't know very much about GNOME, and then I don't know the
way that EDMA will work with it.
I think that the way is making EDMA work with CORBA. Any suggestion will be
fine.

>If, on the other hand, you are looking for someplace to discuss EDMA, and
>its place in the Linux scheme of things, I would suggest starting up an
>EDMA mailing list using majordomo or a similar package, and inviting
>people there.

I will try to do this. I must to talk with my system administrator.

>One suggestion, get rid of the 'usr/local/' at the top of the tree in the
>tarball.  If you started the tarball with 'EDMABeta03r1/' it will be
>easier for people to place it where they want it.

Thanks for the comment, and thanks for download and take a look at it.

>LGPL definately looks like the way to go for EDMA, particularly if you
>want anyone on the Windows 95 end to touch it.

What does this means?. Sorry I understand this phrase.

>If I recall correctly, there was a lot of discussion recently on how to
>properly implement multiple inheritance in CORBA.  Your input could be
>quite useful.  If and when you subscribe there, you might want to check
>the list archive to see what exactly was discussed.

Thanks for the information, and for your quick response.

David Martínez Oliveira

E-mail: dmartin@tsc.uvigo.es
Personal WEB Page : http://wgpi.tsc.uvigo.es/~dyc
EDMA WEBSite      : http://wgpi.tsc.uvigo.es/~dyc/EDMASite