Re: ORBit (was Re: * mico)

On 19 Feb 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

<Much snipping>

> I think lean mean core + add-ons is very much the way to go. But
> I also tend to think that we should struggle on with MICO + hacks
> for a while. There is plenty of other work to do right now, and
> I don't think any of us has the experience to predict where the
> bottlenecks in the design are.

Well, I think the core questions is how much recoding effort would be
required to port an application from say Mico to OmniORB?  How similar are
these beasts?  If all that's necessary is to recompile some IDL, then I
say let's try to get cracking with Mico and when efforts to develop a
faster ORB succeed, we'll use that instead; if we're not stuck with it,
who cares?

Of course, if we ARE stuck with the ORB chosen...  ACK!  How messy.

Patrick

J. Patrick Narkinsky | God doesn't like intellectual slackers any