component architecture

Hi,

 I've been lurking around over the last several days checking out the
Gnome
project and trying to determine if it's something I'd want to get
involved
with.
 I'm impressed with the accumulation of stuff and with the online CVS.
I like the Gtk toolkit.
The Gnome project seems to have a lot of momentum.

 But I need some clarification on the component architecture. I've
caught up
on the archives from the the component-list and I see that some are
concentrating on using MICO as an ORB, and I see a lot of talk
everywhere
about the 'component architecture' of Gnome.

 What's not clear at all is how the ORB is going to be used, and what
constitutes a component. I would have expected a GUI framework to be a
central
element, with the ORB being the central binding element of the
framework.
I would have expected applications to be built of relatively
fine-grained
components. I have not seen any discussion of a framework. Am I missing
something? Seems like such a framework would have to be in place before
you'd
even start developing components.

Meanwhile, I see a growing list of apparently monolithic applications...

Can anybody point out what I'm missing? I haven't had a chance to go
through
the CVS. I'm going by what I see on the Web page and in the gnome-list
and
component-list.

FWIW, I have ideas about a very basic GUI framework based loosely on the
original Model-View-Controller concept introduced by Smalltalk and
re-used
by so many other frameworks...

tim