Friend Protocol (ICQ tool)

I've been bouncing some ideas around in my head for an icq-like/compatible
messaging tool. I'm starting to write up some of the ideas for it, and I'll
probably put up a web page for it. Unfortunately, I'm in college and I
really don't have the time or the experience to implement my idea. But if
anyone else want to run with it, they are welcome.

The idea:

ICQ Like/Compatible Messaging tool

Features
	Messaging
	File Transfers
	Chatting
	Multistate Status (away/busy/etc.)
	AIM style grouping
	ICQ compatibility (hopefully)
	AIM compatibility (psudo interface for AIM[requires AIM account])
	user@server (email address) format
	Could replace finger daemons
	Optional Text interface (similar to zephyr)
	Decentralized system (fight the power!!!)

How:
	(Assuming client2 has already logged on and connected to his friend
server)
	1. Client1 Logs into Server1 and retrieves friendlist/Preferences
	2. Client1 Updates Server1 of its status when changed
	3. Server1 Updates Client2 (already connected) when Client1's status
changes
	4. Client1 connects to Server2(and all other servers on his friendlist)
	   to retrieve friend's (from friendlist) ips
	5. Server2 Updates Client1 when Client2's status changes
	6. Client1 and Client2 are now free to message/chat/file transfer directly
	(4-6 is repeated for each friend on a clients friend list)

	Messages sent to clients not logged on are stored on their friend server

	note: 	this is just one way I can visualize it, using the
		least amount of bandwidth. I would like to find out
		how chatty the icq servers are with the clients
		probably replicate that if possible.

Misc.:

	Server Fwding for users with multiple isp's/email addresses..
		server fwd. all requests to default friend server..

Potential Problems:
	De-centralization causes the need for many connections
	to different friendservers to be maintained for long periods
	of time. Friend Servers would also have to deal with many more
	sustained connections.

Well, that's most of it for now. If anyone is interested in working with me
on this, or further refining the idea, please email me.