Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

   Hi!

On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 04:04:59PM +0100, Phil Dawes wrote:
> On the other hand we have KOM/OpenParts. This has already been
> implemented, however AFAIK none of us in the gnome group have used it
> yet. I would love to read more about it but haven't found anything other
> than the slides from the kde pages (which don't say much). Stephan,
> could you please email the group with the URLs of any information you
> have on KOM/Openparts. (cheers)

I have found those URLs:

 - http://www-chaos.umd.edu/~dsweet/KDE/KTrans
 - http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/openparts.html
 - http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/koffice.html

Of course, there are currently no "Inside KOM"-Books, as I have not
seen many "Inside ORBit" books lately. So if you are looking for the
technical details, you should grab the source and look at the IDL-
files and the sources ;)

As I already mentioned, KOM is based on CORBA, to be more specific,
it's using mico. While the implementation is C++ and currently makes
use of Qt's container classes, this should *not* be a licensing issue.

Harmony has implemented these container classes, so it should be possible
to build KOM/OP without using Qt. I have not tried that yet, though.

So the least thing I would expect is to have gOPControlFrame and gOPControl
widgets for Gnome, to embed your-favourite-OP-control into a Gnome app.
Having Parts available would be even better.

Note that this is only one way, so you could use stuff written for KOM/OP
in Gnome, but not write. So I (and probably others too) would go on
writing KOM/OP stuff (using Qt or Harmony), not Baboon or something else.

I'd appreciate of course if compatibility goes even further or the
problem could be solved really elegant (building Baboon on KOM, or
even better using KOM/OpenParts as well, and contributing the
improvements to make it "perfect").

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan@space.twc.de (PGP!), Freiburg/Germany