Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Phil Dawes wrote:

> The books I have read on COM have had nothing bad to say about it,
> but then they haven't been comparing it with other established systems.
> There *are* flaws in COM, however there are also workarounds and these
(...)

Can we _PLEASE_ stop referring to COM here?  Miguel has (I think) made
it clear that COM will not be used anywhere in GNOME.  It's going to
be an OLE-like model over CORBA.  No COM to be found.

OLE is not COM.  If you mean OLE, then say OLE, not COM!

I'm not knowledgeable enough to particpate in the larger debate, but
_PLEASE_ stop implying that the forthcoming component model is in any
way COM-based.  It make my ears hurt!  Elliot et al. wrote ORBit for a
reason, darn it!

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net