Me = Failing at getting colour management to work :(

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 07:58:52 UTC 2010

On 21 September 2010 22:09, Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn at pcode.nl> wrote:
> Please beware, and the ICC included with your screen is very likely
> not really accurate, it's just better than nothing... nothing else :)

Right. If the profile has no "vcgt" then we can't program the video
gamma tables with the correct data.

> Well first, not all applications are color managed by default, GIMP
> for example has it disabled by default. So make sure you check the
> application settings. GCM only supplies defaults to the applications
> as far as they honor them.

Yes. In GNOME 3 I'm going to push hard for applications like GIMP,
shotwell and darktable to have color management turned on by default,
and for them to get the settings from GNOME Color Manager. At the
moment it's a chicken and egg thing, and the egg (GCM) is only just
being installed on all GNOME desktops by default.

Until then, you have to grub about in the application menus, turning
"on" color management, and possibly checking a little box that says
things like "use screen profile". It's different in every application,
which again, needs work for GNOME 3.

Richard.