Multiple profiles for a single screen

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:31:38 UTC 2010

On 28 November 2010 09:59, Milan Knížek <knizek.confy at volny.cz> wrote:
> Probably not - I used `gcm-dump-edid -v` with nouveau for all of the
> modes (they usually differ in WP, brightness, gamut). The files are
> attached.

Urgh, all the files are identical. This can happen for two reasons:

* nouveau is caching the edid, and not fetching it from the hardware
when GCM requests
* the monitor is sending the same edid for all selectable modes
* the monitor is set to not update the edid (my HP calls this DDC/CI
Auto EDID Update)

Can you ensure the Auto EDID update feature is turned on, and if not
could you try:

1. shutdown
2. select adobe on the monitor OSD
3. startup
4. dump edid
5. shutdown

Then repeat with the srgb mode to see if nouveau is indeed caching these.

> How about keeping the predefined string for profile name and adding the
> custom user string only when the user wants so? Possibly trigger the
> extra question via gconf option?

Ideally we can detect common modes using their primaries and just
append something like ("Abobe RGB") to the profile title and filename.

Richard.