GNOME Color Manager 2.31.1 - suggested improvements for screen cal/profiling

Florian Höch lists+gnome-color-manager at hoech.org
Fri May 7 13:13:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

recently I switched from the proprietary nvidia driver to noveau, so I
could try the latest GCM :)

I noticed that for screen calibration, always a quality of 'low' is used
and a shaper+matrix profile is created from varying colorpatch amounts
and quality parameter.

Looking at the code, the 100-500 colorpatches used for the screen
profiling really seem overkill for a simple matrix profile. So the first
thing I'd suggest, is to always use a lower, fixed-amount colorpatch
set: targen -d3 -e4 -g9 -m3, this yields 36 patches that most other
profilers out there also seem to use and should give very good results
with matrix profiles (of course YMMV, but imho it would be a good
default. This is what I use in dispcalGUI atm). Then, I'd suggest
colprof -qh for matrix profiles (lower quality levels will smooth the
trc curves more, but I think high quality could model the device
response more accurately). This shouldn't come at any speed penalty at
the new low suggested colorpatch count. And, as GCM always does a
calibration+profile, I'd use colprof -aS (single shaper+matrix) instead
of -as (per channel shaper+matrix), as we can rely on the calibration
already having established gray balance, thus no need to risk the per
channel curves introducing banding or shimmering.

These changes would remove the need for the current three profile
'precision' choices for screen calibration/profiling, so the last
suggestion from me is to instead present the user with a choice for the
calibration (dispcal) quality instead, or to get rid of the choice
altogether (only for screen calibration/profiling ofcourse).

What do you think?

Am 06.05.2010 16:05, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> gnome-color-manager is a session program that makes it easy to manage, install
> and generate color profiles in the GNOME desktop.
>
> Version 2.31.1

Regards
--
Florian Höch