rebuilding Gnome without complete erase

I run an unstable Gnome under /usr, which I periodically rebuild from cvs head - the idea is that if I use it for regular work I'm more likely to detect any bugs. I just update source from cvs and recompile and install on top of old versions. Can I assume that old versions of libs that stack up will just become unused, and that any new builds will automatically link against the latest lib versions ? Or do I really need to erase the whole environment before a rebuild to ensure that all running Gnome components are indeed the latest ? Or is there a relibale uninstall mechanism ?
thanks
Rod
<corporate disclaimer drivel goes here>