Re: metacity possible showstopper

On 9/1/05, Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net> wrote:

I was finally able to get a trace for a metacity bug that has been
recently been introduced.  It was a pain since the only indication
of a crash was that all my unmaximized windows shifted down and to
the right.  I attached a gdb process to metacity in a screen
session and waited for my desktop to freeze, and then ssh'd in
to get the backtrace.

Anyway, the bug number is 315000 and I was thinking that this might
be a possible showstopper candidate?  Since metacity respawns it
doesn't have a huge impact on the user, but then again we want our
window manager to be as stable as possible, right?
Kjartan Maraas also found this using valgrind in bug 313030.

Yes, I marked it as a showstopper.  Thanks for finding and fixing my slop (it was my patch from bug 313234, as you suspected, that introduced this crash).  ;-)  Can you fix up the patch according to the comments I added in that bug?  We'll need to ping Havoc to get him to approve it and then present it to the release team to get approval to break the hard code freeze.

Thanks!
Elijah