Re: Bug 324449 – Lack of right-click menu or DnD response, and Network not listed?

On 12/18/05, Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net> wrote:
> DW Price wrote:
> >
> >      *Feature requests*

> >            If it really is a new feature, and not an improvement to
> >            something already in the product, set Severity=Enhancement,
> >            Priority=Normal.
>
> Thanks for the input on these bugs!

Seconded, many thanks!

> Unfortunately, this mailing-list is
> not for suggested changes to bugs in the database.  If you want to
> become involved by triaging bugs, then please read the Bugsquad guide
> at:

Actually, I did list in at least one place in the triage guide, and
perhaps in a couple, that the mailing list could be used for that
purpose.  I tried to steer people towards irc since that tends to work
better, but it's probably something we want to decide.  If we don't
want the mailing list used for this (which might exclude contributors
if we can't respond fast enough on IRC) then we'll need to change the
guide.

> http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/TriageGuide
>
> For other information about bugsquad, please see:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad
>
> The best way to help us triage bugs is to read the triage guide and then
> to join us for one of our Bug Days. We hang out in IRC in channel #bugs
> on irc.gnome.org. We are there to answer your questions and get you
> started. You can join us in IRC anytime and there will usually be
> someone there to help you. You may want to take a look at the FAQ as well.
>
> Thanks again for your interest and help!

It looks like he/she did read the triage guide, as the email consisted
of cutting and pasting part of it back to us...

DW Price:
In this particular case, you correctly identified it as a feature
request but then it looks like you're just listing instructions to us
on how to proceed.  Instead, you should be the one to try to find out
if it is a new feature request or if it's a duplicate.  If it's a new
request, you could suggest setting the severity to enhancement for
this bug.  (although it looks like they're trying to cram more than
one item into the bug report, which may make it invalid)

An extra point to note is that if you are going to suggest the changes
for several bugs and you want to use the mailing list because no one
is around on IRC, it'll help if you can put several of them together
into one email in the future.

Also, it would help if you could provide a brief note explaining why
you're emailing (we had a hard time telling if you were reporting
extra info for bugs, were requesting more info about bugs, or
something else before realizing that you were just a new volunteer).

Thanks for getting involved!

Cheers,
Elijah