Re: Change servers timezone to UTC (was: Bugzilla will be DOWN Sat 9 April 17.00-20.00 UTC)

On Fri, 2005-08-04 at 16:28 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > The servers are located in the eastern US time zone. I think it is fair that their local
> > > time can be EST/DST.
> >
> > But the default timezone should be set up to the one that is
> > understood by the users of the machine.
> >
> > The default users of that machine are from all around the globe.
> > So it's fair for it to be UTC.
> >
> > Most people get mad guessing that server timezone.
>
> $ ssh window.gnome.org
> [hadess window hadess]$ date
> Fri Apr  8 11:20:20 EDT 2005
>                     ^^^
>
> It tells you the timezone... Where do you see the problem exactly? An
> awful lot of people that aren't adding their voices to this dialogue
> aren't in the EST timezone.

Well anybody knows (ought to know) their own offset from UTC. But one
always has to start counting how many hours is MDT from EDT or EST. (And
that's one of the easy comparisons.)

Just because people don't post "me too" messages does not mean they do
not consider UTC a more appropriate use.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, Professor & Coordinator
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences