Re: Capturing traces guide

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:40:35PM -0500 or thereabouts, David Kennedy wrote:
> I've included a new page on b.g.o which explains how to capture stack
> traces. I've wished many times for such a page when I was needinfoing a
> bug with "Please capture a stack trace", so I'm sure other people will
> find it useful as well.
>
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/getting-traces.cgi
>
> Let me know if you have any suggestions,

Mention that for some programs, you need to be root to
do this. gnome-games applications are an example.

I was quite startled to find that neither bug-buddy nor
gdb at the commandline produced anything useful with
gnome-games crashes.

This is because something (score files?) is SUID or runs
as user 'games' or some such thing. You need to use sudo
or su to get it to produce anything useful.

Don't know other examples, but I imagine there's a few.

Telsa