Release notes for GStreamer gst-plugins-ugly 0.10.2 "Season to Taste"

GStreamer: Release notes for GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins 0.10.2 "Season to
Taste"

The GStreamer team is proud to announce a new release
in the 0.10.x stable series of the
GStreamer Ugly Plug-ins.

The 0.10.x series is a stable series targeted at end users.
It is not API or ABI compatible with the stable 0.8.x series.
It is, however, parallel installable with the 0.8.x series.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."

There are times when the world needs a color between black and white.
Quality code to match the good's, but two-timing, backstabbing and ready
sell your freedom down the river.  These plug-ins might have a patent
noose
around their neck, or a lock-up license, or any other problem that makes
you
think twice about shipping them.

We don't call them ugly because we like them less.  Does a mother love
her
son less because he's not as pretty as the other ones ? No  - she
commends
him on his great personality.  These plug-ins are the life of the party.
And we'll still step in and set them straight if you report any
unacceptable
behaviour - because there are two kinds of people in the world, my
friend:
those with a rope around their neck and the people who do the cutting.

This module contains a set of plug-ins that have good quality and
correct
functionality, but distributing them might pose problems.  The license
on either the plug-ins or the supporting libraries might not be how we'd
like. The code might be widely known to present patent problems.
Distributors should check if they want/can ship these plug-ins.

Other modules containing plug-ins are:
gst-plugins-base contains a basic set of well-supported plug-ins
gst-plugins-good contains a set of well-supported plug-ins under our
preferred license
gst-plugins-bad contains a set of less supported plug-ins that haven't
passed the rigorous quality testing we expect

Features of this release
      * Parallel installability with 0.8.x series
      * Threadsafe design and API
      * DVD Title source (dvdreadsrc) ported (DVD Menus in a future
release)
      * ASF demuxer ported
      * Fixes for MPEG demuxing
      * Fixes for the MAD MP3 decoder
      * Fixes for the LAME MP3 encoder
      * ID3 tag reading has moved to id3demux in gst-plugins-good
      * Fixes for the Real Media demuxer
      * Various other fixes

Bugs fixed in this release
      * 311679 : [lame] doesn't write GST_TAG_DATE correctly
      * 326734 : [mad] Add 24-bit output support
      * 171528 : SIGFPE in gstasf with
http://joule.via.ecp.fr/~lool/debia...
      * 313838 : totem hangs after playing an amazon sample
      * 317872 : Cannot demux ASF/WMV files with auxillary
(non-audio/vide...
      * 319782 : Lame encoding is broken with vbr=vbr-new and
vbr-quality=9
      * 326711 : [mpegdemux] does not negotiate source pads
      * 329575 : misc bugfixes for mad from 0.8
      * 331035 : [asfdemux] port to 0.10
      * 331301 : [mpeg2dec] strides issues when cropping
      * 331579 : Set asfdemux rank to secondary
      * 330844 : mpeg2dec crashes with " cropped " MPEG videos

Download

You can find source releases of gst-plugins-ugly in the download
directory:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-plugins-ugly/

GStreamer Homepage

More details can be found on the project's website:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

Support and Bugs

We use GNOME's bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer

Developers

CVS is hosted on cvs.freedesktop.org.
All code is in CVS and can be checked out from there.
Interested developers of the core library, plug-ins, and applications
should
subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list. If there is sufficient interest
we
will create more lists as necessary.

Applications

Contributors to this release

      * Christian Schaller
      * Edgard Lima
      * Edward Hervey
      * Jan Schmidt
      * Martin Soto
      * Stefan Kost
      * Thomas Vander Stichele
      * Tim-Philipp M�      * Wim Taymans

--
Jan Schmidt thaytan noraisin net

"Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's greatest evils:
people who shouldn't drink with people who shouldn't sing."
-Tom Dreesen