ANNOUNCE: GDM 2.4.4.5 (stable), the "Paper Bag, Brown" release

EEEEEEEEEEEEEK

(If you have no clue what gdm is, skip a few paragraphs down first)

Well, apparently quite normal for me is to discover problems (people telling
me about problems in the last version) the day after the release.  Oh well.
So first this release includes a month's worth of translations that somehow
didn't quite make it last time and also it includes a small security related
fix.  GDM can leave your .Xauthority in readable state after purging the
cookies.  Which is not really a huge problem since it will never leave
cookies in a readable (world readable I mean) file, but if you use many
displays, your other displays may be affected, though only if your home dir
is world readable obviously.

And now for the standard part of the release announcement:

GDM is the GNOME Display Manager, it is the little proggie that runs in the
background, runs your X sessions, presents you with a login box and then
tells you to piss off because you forgot your password.  It does pretty much
everything that you would want to use xdm for, but doesn't involve as much
crack.  It doesn't use any code from xdm, and has a more paranoid and safer
design overall.  It also includes many features over xdm, the biggest one of
which is that it is more user friendly, even if your X setup is failing.  The
goal is that users should never, ever have to use the command line to
customize or troubleshoot gdm.  It of course supports xdmcp, and in fact
extends xdmcp a little bit in places where I thought xdm was lacking (but is
still compatible with xdm's xdmcp).

News:
=====

Highlights of 2.4.4.5:

- Brown paper security bag: ~/.Xauthority could be left readable
  after logout

- gecos info (face browser user name) didn't get through if non-utf8
  (Frederic Crozat) (fixes mandrake #5309)

- Translation updates (another brown paper bag, these went in over
  the last month) (Kjartan Maraas, Andras Timar, Danilo Segan,
  Ales Nyakhaychyk, Asmund Skjaeveland, Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira,
  Augusta Marques da Silva, Richard Allen)

Note:  GDM2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>, and
has for a while now been maintained by the Queen of England.  She is usually
not responsive to bug reports or feature requests.  You can try to send them
to me however.

Note2:  If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites
most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf.  It will however save backups
with the .orig extension first.

Note3:  Note3 has been depracated ...

Downloading:
============

Webpage: http://www.jirka.org/gdm.html
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gdm/2.4/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gdm/

Sorry no RPMS.  There is a spec file included in the tarball and it should
work.  So generate an rpm with

  rpmbuild -ta gdm-whatever.tar.gz

Have fun (or whatever else you wish to be having),

George

PS:  Again should be doing homework, so no silliness.  NONE.  Stop whining!
I won't say anything about chinese in space and how it relates to conspiracy
theories which makes people tell me about problems in gdm one day too late.
Also no dilapidation of barns will be done, and nothing to do with NASA.
Now back to proving that $C^k([0,1])$ is a Banach space under some whacky
norm.

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Men willingly believe what they wish.